Sunday 7 April 2013

Breast Feeding Bread



As a rule I try to turn up to houses with a baked good so I hunted around for something before visiting my friend and her baby boy. I found a recipe for Breast Feeding Bread in a Leon cook book The Thew gave me and thought I'd bake that (although it turns out she isn't breast feeding as aforementioned baby boy didn't cooperate but she hangs out with people who are more than me). I'm hoping it tastes ok as it has aniseed-y type seeds in it which aren't always people's cup of tea. Although there aren't tons in there so I guess toasted with enough jam will make it taste ok.
 
I couldn't get all the ingredients but I don't think it matters. It basically includes four milk enhancing seeds so replace the aniseeds, fennel, fenugreek and caraway with some sesame seeds etc for people who don't want to start spontaneously lactating (although I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that, being brought up in the Catholic religion where you're told that the stigmata can spontaneously appear on you makes you wary and therefore take ridiculous precautions you don't need to).
 
Ingredients
 
Bread
Soft butter
330g strong wholemeal flour (it said wholemeal spelt flour but as I couldn't even find it in Holland & Barrett I decided it could go hang)
170g strong white flour
5g easy dried yeast
2 tps crushed sea salt (personally I wouldn't substitute for table salt but if that's all you have then maybe go easy in it)
1 tsp aniseeds (I couldn't find these anywhere!)
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 tsp ground fenugreek seeds (if you have a coffee grinder use that as I did it in my pastel and mortar which, while giving me no end of joy whenever I get to use it, did mean the seeds shot off everywhere)
40g pumpkin seeds
40g sunflower seeds
2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
300ml warm water
 
Topping
15g pumpkin seeds
15g sunflower seeds
40g pine nuts (maybe my dough wasn't sticky enough but this just sat on top and burnt then fell off so you could ignore these)
1.    Put all the dry ingredients for the bread in a bowl. Mix well.
2.    Add the oil and water and mix through. Then knead until smooth in the bowl- I used dough hooks on my electric whisk. It should still be wet and I think mine was too dry so add more water if it doesn't look sticky.
3.    Grease a 1kg loaf tin (a smallish one as I'm never sure of sizes) and put the dough in it. Then cut deep gashes on the stop (about four) and stuff with the topping seeds. Sprinkle all over with pine nuts and press into what is hopefully a sticky dough.
4.    Place the tin in a large plastic bag that allows a lot of room. I used a bag for life. Tuck in the ends so its sealed and leave in a warm place to double in size. About 2 hours.
5.    Preheat an oven to 230°C/GM 8. Bake for 20 minutes and then turn down to 200°C/GM 6 for another 20 minutes. Then take out, cool and turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment